Tuesday 23 October 2012

Day 4: Drip

Yesterday I was given the flu medication, which was administered through the process of cannulation. A cannula was inserted into a vein in each arm, which looks like this........
The drip was then attached to the cannula of my right arm, the less dominant. The one on my left arm was just a precaution. When the cannula was inserted, it wasn't very painful, just a strong prick when the needle went in and a lot of pressure put on my arm. The staff here really put you at ease. I managed to remain really calm whilst it was being put in - I'm impressed with myself! I've obviously got so used to needles and having my blood taken. 

The process of cannulation lasted for about 2 hours and 15 minutes, from 11.00 - 13.15. During this time I read and before I knew it they were 'undripping' me. You can technically move and bend your arm with them in but it doesn't feel right because it's so bulky after all, it is a needle in your arm!
They left the cannula in my left arm in throughout the day and overnight as a precaution. I didn't sleep as well as the other nights because I was conscious of the position of my arm, it was hard to get comfy. I can't wait to get it out of my arm now!!
 
 
 
      I had a  busy schedule yesterday and after the medication administration process I was absolutely knackered! We had our lunch and then apparently most of us konked out straight after, ha. I woke up at 18.00 and it was dinner time! I still wasn't feeling any symptoms, other than backache. I'm avoiding sitting on  on my bed now and  using my armchair like a Grandad in the hope that I'll be relieved of this back pain! 

I've been thinking about how I'm not doing any exercise because I'm confined to this room that's giving me one of the symptoms of flu: muscle and joint ache. It's interesting how the environment is actually causing the symptoms rather than the actual flu! But then again I may not have been given it! Who knows; I still  have no idea when or if I'm going to feel the symptoms. 

This is one of the schedule sheets I get given every day, so you  can get the idea of how detailed it is. So far they've changed each day, but I think from today (Weds, day 5) they'll stay pretty much the same everyday because I've been given the flu and the drug.


The wrongest fish pie I've ever consumed. We get fed really well here, it's only the evening dinners that aren't that nice, but it really doesn't bother me, you can't expect them to be that tasty!!




Despite how busy it was yesterday, I  had a productive day work wise, I managed to do a lot of reading for uni which I'm really enjoying. AND I GOT SOME BOURBONS!!! Haha













No comments:

Post a Comment