Sunday 21 October 2012

What? When? How?

PROTOCOL TITLE: A Phase 2a, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of TCN-032 (Human Monoclonal Antibody Directed Against the M2 Protein Influenza A Virus) In Subjects Challened with H3N2 Influenza A Virus.

I'm taking part in a clinical trial with the virology research company Retroscreen Virology Ltd, for the purpose of developing treatments for respiratory viruses such as influenza, hence the name given to the studies; 'Flu Camp'. For 11 days from the 20th of October until the 31st, I am staying in a quarantine unit among a number of other volunteers. We stay in rooms on our own with an en-suite and we are confined to these rooms for the duration of our stay, so the only people we talk to are the doctors, nurses and assistants who work on the unit. They take blood, blood pressure, temperature, and nasal swabs daily. We are provided with 3 meals a day, water, tea and coffee. They also have a variety of films and games you can choose from, as there is a television and play station (won't catch me playing on call of duty anytime soon haha). I think being a student, taking part in Flucamp is a really worthwhile experience. Not only is it morally a rewarding thing to do but it also gives me the opportunity to read and study, and of course, earn a good sum of money. I applied for Flucamp by registering my interest online and within a few days they called me and invited me in for a blood test to check if I had the range of anti-bodies they were looking for in potential participants. After I got through the first stage, I was invited back for a full screening; urine samples, blood, ecg, spirometry test and reflexes. A week or so later I got a call from them and the tests had been successful,
all that was left for them to do was receive the go ahead from my doctor and I could arrange when I was going to take part in the trial.

Here's a video I've made on reflection of my first day at Flucamp: 




My lovely flat mates (the Surrey House massive) are the sweetest, they sent me off with these....





"ENJOY DA FLU INNIT.....but then get well soon really quickly and then you can make me soup and I can buy you other pointless flu related gifts..."
.



"Get well and then get better soon!"

"We'll miss you, use the time to make plans for how we'll party when you're back!"

"Hey home G,
hope flu camp don't give you green wee, I'll miss you like a 'lil sweet pea, 'cus you put the leaves on my tree, big love, big hug, big sucky sucky xoxo"

"The Bronx will miss you, come home!"

So much love for them X





1 comment:

  1. Great blog babes - good luck with the Flu Fukka Trial (rather than Bush Tucker trial!!)

    ReplyDelete